A well Rounded Gauley Season

 






Gauley season, for those of you who don’t know, refers to the weekends from early September to late October when Summersville lake in WV releases water in preparation for winter. The results are optimal flows on one of the most fun sections of whitewater on the east coast. Typically my gauley season revolves around the Upper Gauley river and the annual Gauley Fests (kind of an end of the summer rager), but like everything else in 2020, Gauley season was a little different this year. In the beginning I had a list of grandiose plans, and while most of them got checked off, a summer full of camping turned me into a fairweather traveler and a few things got cut due to rain or freezing temps. As I do on most of my travels, I kept a list in my notes app of all the activities, food and camping from the trip. I write this in hopes that I encourage you to check out Summersville if you haven't yet, add a new adventure to the list if you love the area or reach out to me with your own recommendations for next year.

Activities:

Paddling the Upper Gauley River: I guess I can’t really talk about this section of river without first mentioning my debilitating fear of big water that usually doesn't subside until after the last rapid. Also, by far the worst swim of my life was at pillow rapid. With that said, this is one of the most beautiful sections of river you could be on (I think everyone says that about every river lol) and if you respect the river, you will have an amazing experience. As always, we took off at Mason’s Branch (which I suggest to avoid extra flatwater). I ran up the footpath to the field of parked cars and retrieved the takeout vehicle. After taking a detour to the waterfall (recommened, it’s beautiful) it took me 6 minutes to get to the top, which felt absolutely amazing after sitting in a boat all day.

Paddling the Lower Gauley River: Equally, if not more, beautiful than upstream with 1/10th of the people and half the excitement. There are still a few big rapids but they’re mainly green highways in between avoidable holes. I will say though, flips happen when you let your guard down, which is what almost happened to Adam and I as we casually floated into a sideways curler without paddling, because “it’s only the lower” lol.


Climbing at Orange Oswald: This is awesome because it’s right on Summersville lake. Not only are you climbing with beautiful views, but as soon as you get too hot, you can jump in the water! Also, as the water levels drop, more rock ledges are exposed leading to routes only accessible in the wintertime. We saw two snakes here all season, only one was venomous but both were the biggest damn snakes I’ve ever seen. So there’s that.

Climbing at Upper Meadow: I would suggest getting here an hour before you think you should to secure a parking spot. While this area is very popular, it’s also pretty big with lots of routes to choose from. Even when the parking area was full, we never waited to jump on anything. Once you come down from the rocks and onto the main trail, you meet up with Meadow river, which is a perfect spot for snacks, skinny dipping and hammock naps before heading up the steep af hill back to the car.


Climbing at Sandstonia/Tattoo Wall: Okay, so full disclosure, the night before we checked out this area, Adam and I were up until 3am eating too much cheese and tripping on psychedelics. The walk in already had me feeling beat and our warm up route had us both pumped. My overall feeling about this area was, “ehhhh” but I recognize that could have more to do with my actions rather than the environment.

Hiking at Hawks Nest State Park: We arrived in town on a rainy day after the dam shut off (removing both climbing and paddling from our activity list) and decided to check out the cliffside trail for some exercise. While the views are subpar, the rocks are really cool! Lots of tall rocks with bolts and cut outs in the cliffside, perfect for scrambling. We spent hours exploring the short trail and snacking in the cut outs, which is always a great day.


Chillaxing on Summersville lake: “On the way to the Upper G put in, right before you cross over the dam, is a pull off on the right. It doesn’t look like much, but if you walk down the trail, it’s really beautiful.” These directions from a friend popped into my head as we approached the pull off with time to kill in the evening. Not knowing what to expect, Adam and I took some snack (are you sensing a pattern yet) and headed down the less obvious path that veered right. Almost immediately we saw three river otters going back and forth from sunbathing on land to hunting for crayfish in the lake. We hung out with them for a while, didn’t see any other people and watched the sun sink over the lake. 10/10 would recommend it.

Food (the most Important part):

Breakfast consisted mainly of fruits (apples and clementines pack so easily, it’s silly not to bring them), pre-made burritos, yogurt and granola, cinnamon rolls purchased at our local bakery before traveling and the best damn muffins I’ve ever made from one of my favorite cookbooks, “Run fast, cook fast, eat slow”


Lunch was a combination of prepared food, dinner leftover from the night before and post activity, pre dinner charcuterie platters at the car. Bite size potatoes and everything but the kitchen sink pasta (both made ahead of time at the house. See my loose recipe for both of these by clicking here), pb&j (my go to), rice cakes (from the run fast cookbook, but I won't include the recipe because I was not that impressed) and leftover breakfast burritos (arugula, ground soysage, eggs, rice, shredded cheddar, maple syrup & tabasco). I also always packed baby food, fruit gummies and two granola bars for each of us. Once we get back to the car, it’s a smorgasbord of hummus, carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, good bread with goat cheese and fresh jam, garlic naan and havarti cheese, crackers, brie cheese (heated on a rock next to the fire), grapes, olives, apples, pickled beets and miso soup or vegetable broth to warm up (Adam thinks I’m strange for loving this, but a little bit of better than bouillon & hot water is the most comforting drink on a cold day)

A few notable dinners:

- Black rice (precooked at home), with kale (blanched in either miso soup or veggie broth for more taste) and veggies (mushroom, peppers and onions) sauteed in bomb sauce (click here and scroll down to food for the recipe)
- Gnocchi (potato pasta that cooks in less than three minutes, ideal for when you’re lazy/starving), veggies and italian soysage links, all with a little bomb sauce.
- Ravioli (again, cooks quickly) in a goat cheese, pesto and sesame oil sauce, blanched kale, mushrooms in bomb sauce and soysage.
- Udon noodles, veggies (mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper, water chestnuts) and soysage, in a peanut bomb sauce (same recipe but add peanut butter & hot water, then cook down until thick), topped with arugula and peanuts. This meal was made at home without the sauce, so it only took a few minutes to thicken the sauce and heat up the meal.
- One night we got too full on bread and cheese that we had the small dinner of butternut squash soup upgraded with blue cheese sprinkles, spicy pepitas and arugula

As you can see, I basically eat different versions of the same shit. These meals are quick, easy, inexpensive and leave you feeling satiated, not heavy. My best advice is plan ahead. Anything that can stand to be made at home and sit in the cooler for a day or two is so much easier than getting off the river, tired and hungry, and waiting an hour to cook some lavish meal.

Camping:

Due to the festival grounds and Upper Gauley put in being closed to camping, My adventure partner Adam and I were forced to *gag* pay for camping. We stayed at two different spots throughout the whole season.

Gauley River Wild & Woolly Primitive Campground- This place is awesome and I can’t love it enough! Located very close to both the Upper Gauley take out and the Lower Gauley put in, this was hella convenient. Despite it being “primitive camping” they had restrooms, a hot water shower, a spring/ dishwashing station and multiple fire rings. Basically, If you’re planning on running the river, this is the best spot to camp.

Ray’s Campground- This was nice because it was right off of route 19 and right in between the river and the main climbing areas. The first night we stopped there was opening weekend and the place was packed! After circling the campground a few more times, we went back to the front office and talked to the owner. She said, “I tell you what, go up past my house and drive through my yard until you reach the family cemetery. It’s quiet up there, that’s usually where I send my climbers.” We followed her directions and found ourselves on the flat top of a hill, with picnic tables, a fire ring and (the best part) no other people. We stayed here for most of the season because it was cheap, convenient and very chill. Plus that lady was just the sweetest!

Alright, that’s all I have for you guys. I hope this inspires you to do a little West Virginia exploring of your own next fall (or whenever really, summerville is awesome all year round).

Like I said, due to yucky weather, we traded a couple weekends of camping for the beach, the smokey mountains and snuggling at home. We missed out on paddling the new river dries and camping riverside on the lower gauley, but those will definitely be added to next year's list. If there is anything that you absolutely love about the Summersville area, please send me a message, I would love to check out something new and exciting.

To my adventure partner,

If not for you, I probably wouldn't have climbed at all. Thank you for diversifying a season I love so much. You make everything more fun!



Lots of love,

Leah Staley

The Wild Child Yogi


Comments

Popular Posts